AC Repair in Seattle
Offering a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee Since 1977
While the Pacific Northwest doesn’t get incredibly hot, having a fully functioning air conditioner is especially important during the summer months when the temperatures do rise. If you’re experiencing any issues with your AC, there’s no need to worry.
At Northwest Mechanical, Inc., our Seattle AC repair specialists have over 40 years of experience. Part of what sets us apart from other companies is the fact that we don’t just repair air conditioners, we are also experienced at engineering and designing eco-friendly and adaptable units made to keep your home or business comfortable.
We can work on all makes and models, including central and mini-split systems. When it comes to AC repair, there’s no job too large or complicated for our team of highly trained HVAC experts.
How to Tell It’s Time for AC Repairs
Is your home not as comfortable as you’d like it? While a unit that doesn’t power on is a clear indication that you need repairs, there are subtler issues that, if left alone, could lead to extensive repairs or the need for a premature replacement. By familiarizing yourself with the more subtle signs of an air conditioning issue, you can call in a professional service technician sooner rather than later.
Our Seattle AC repair specialists suggest calling us if:
- You are paying more money each month for your utility bills: Leaky ductwork, an internal problem, or a faulty thermostat can all result in your air conditioner operating less efficiently. This means it has to work harder to keep your property cool, thus making your bills skyrocket.
- You only feel warm air coming from your vents: First, check to make sure you didn’t accidentally set your thermostat to the wrong temperature. If that’s not the case, you probably have an internal issue and need your air conditioner inspected by a professional.
- Your property is experiencing higher humidity: Although not its primary function, your air conditioner is responsible for regulating the humidity inside your home or commercial property. In addition to warm and sticky air, higher humidity means that there is excess moisture in the air, and it can lead to mold and mildew growth. For your safety, it’s important that you have this issue addressed as soon as possible.
- Your unit has poor airflow: Unfortunately, there are many things that can cause poor airflow to occur. We will have to perform a through inspection to determine whether the issue is due to a clogged air filter, a problem with the blower, frozen evaporator coils, leaking ductwork, or blocked air ducts.
- You notice a ton of moisture surrounding your unit: While condensation is normal, excessive levels of it is not. Any excess moisture or pooling water could indicate that you have leaking refrigerant or a clogged drain tube.
- Your unit makes strange noises: It’s normal for an air conditioner to make subtle noise as it operates. However, if it begins to make noticeable screeching, squealing, grinding, groaning, or scraping noises, it is a clear sign that something needs to be repaired.
- Your thermostat is malfunctioning: Sometimes, the issues with your air conditioner are actually with the thermostat. If you’re experiencing hot and cold spots throughout your home, your unit won’t shut off, or if it refuses to start, it could be due to an issue with the thermostat.
- Your unit is producing foul odors: If you smell anything burning or a musky smell, it could be due to an issue with your AC. Burnt wires or mold growth contribute to such smells.
- Your unit frequently cycles: Air conditioners are designed to turn off when the temperature in your property reaches the set one on the thermostat. However, when something is wrong, it will continue to cycle.
At Northwest Mechanical, Inc., our air conditioning service professionals can handle any AC repair job. From a leaking air conditioner unit to a system that is not cooling sufficiently, we have seen it all. We even have experience with both central air conditioning system and mini-split AC systems.
What Are the Most Common AC Issues?
At Northwest Mechanical, Inc., we understand that air conditioning systems can encounter various issues over time. Recognizing these common AC problems can help you take prompt action and prevent larger disruptions.
Here are some of the most frequent AC issues our experts encounter:
- Poor Airflow: Insufficient airflow can result from clogged filters, blocked vents, or issues with the blower motor. It reduces cooling efficiency and comfort.
- Refrigerant Leaks: Low refrigerant levels due to leaks can lead to decreased cooling performance and potential compressor damage.
- Thermostat Malfunctions: Incorrect thermostat readings or failure to maintain the desired temperature can cause discomfort and inefficient operation.
- Frozen Evaporator Coils: Inadequate airflow or refrigerant issues can lead to frozen evaporator coils, resulting in reduced cooling and potential damage.
- Compressor Problems: The compressor is crucial for cooling. Issues like overheating, electrical problems, or mechanical failures can disrupt the entire system.
- Strange Noises: Unusual noises such as grinding, squealing, or banging can indicate issues with belts, motors, or other components.
- Electrical Failures: Faulty wiring, blown fuses, or tripped circuit breakers can disrupt the AC's operation and pose safety risks.
- Uneven Cooling: Uneven cooling throughout your space might result from ductwork issues, improper insulation, or zoning problems.
- Clogged Condensate Drain: A clogged condensate drain can cause water leakage and damage. It can also lead to mold growth and indoor air quality issues.
- Dirty Filters: Dirty or clogged filters restrict airflow, reducing efficiency and causing strain on the system.
- Fan Problems: Issues with the fan motor or fan blades can lead to inadequate airflow and cooling.
- Short Cycling: Rapid cycling between on and off states can waste energy, increase wear and tear, and compromise cooling effectiveness.
- Lack of Maintenance: Neglecting routine maintenance can lead to various AC problems, reduced efficiency, and a shorter system lifespan.
- Aging Equipment: Older AC systems are more prone to breakdowns, inefficiency, and the need for repairs.
- Poor Indoor Air Quality: AC issues can impact indoor air quality, leading to discomfort and potential health concerns.
If you encounter any of these common AC issues, don't hesitate to contact Northwest Mechanical, Inc. Our experienced technicians are equipped to diagnose problems accurately and provide effective solutions to restore your AC system's performance, efficiency, and comfort. We're committed to keeping your cooling system running smoothly year-round.
Strange Noises Coming From AC
While air conditioners don't run completely silent, there are a couple sounds that shouldn't be heard. These sounds can be anything from banging, screeching, grinding, or clicking.
These types of sounds typically mean there is a problem within the AC unit that needs to be repaired by a professional.
Different Strange Sounds From Your AC Include:
- Banging: When an air conditioner makes a banging noise the compressor the issue. This part of the AC is meant to distribute refrigerant to various parts of the unit to remove the excess heat from your home. As the AC ages parts can come undone within the compressor. These parts rattle and bang around causing this sound.
- Screeching: A screeching squealing type of sound can be the result of a damaged blower fan's motor inside the air conditioner. This sound is usually cased by damaged bearings in the motor or a bad fan belt. Whenever a screeching noise is heard, immediately turn off the AC and contact a professional for repairs.
- Grinding: Grinding is never a good sound to hear from any type of mechanical object. This grinding in an AC can be caused by pistons inside the compressor becoming worn out. Worn out pistons usually mean the compressor needs to be replaced entirely. Depending on the type of AC and the age of the AC, the entire unit may need to be replaced.
- Clicking: A click when an air conditioner first kicks in is completely normal. Clicking becomes a problem if you are hearing a continuous clicking throughout the entirety of the cooling cycle. These clicks is caused by a malfunctioning thermostat.
At Northwest Mechanical, Inc., our Seattle AC repair specialists can solve the most difficult problems. We know that problems can occur at any time which is why we offer same-day and emergency services available 24/7.
Whether you need repair of your ductless single-head system, or a service call for a modern, full-home HVAC system, the experienced technicians of Northwest Mechanical, Inc. are available to help when you need us most. We provide superior air conditioning service in Seattle, Shoreline, and the surrounding areas.
We believe in providing honest service on which you can rely. You will never be pressured into purchasing products or services you don't need or want. When you call us for repair services, we will diagnose your issue and help you come up with a repair or service plan that best suits your needs and your budget.
Just give us a call at (206) 900-9231 and we will arrive on time and ready to get the job done.
- Emergency Service Available 24/7*For Service Partner Plan Members
- Tailored Solutions for Home Efficiency & Comfort
- We're Not Happy Until You Are